Last week, my lovely wife, Holly, made bacon cheddar cornbread and it was amazing! I shared the above picture on twitter and a few folks asked for the recipe. First, let me say this isn’t an original recipe. We’ve learned about Mason Woodruff, who specializes in healthy eating and cooking, and that’s where we got the recipe. You can find his website at http://www.masonfit.com
So, without further ado, here’s the recipe.
- 8 slices Center Cut Bacon, cut into thin strips
- 1 C (116g) Masa Harina or Corn Flour
- 1/2 C (56g) Almond Flour
- 1/2 C (56g) Cheddar Powder
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 15 oz can Whole Kernel Corn, undrained
- 1 C (227g) Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 C (120mL) Skim Milk, or your choice of milk
- Preheat an oven to 375F.
- Add the chopped bacon to a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and fully cook.
- While the bacon cooks, mix the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Transfer the cooked bacon pieces to the cornbread batter, leaving the bacon grease behind in the skillet. Stir well.
- Carefully pour the cornbread batter into the skillet and bake for 45-55 minutes or until the center is cooked through and no longer gooey. (If the edges brown before the center cooks through, you can cover with foil to finish cooking.
Let me tell you folks this stuff is FANTASTIC, you should give it a try!